This Meringue Cookies recipe, also known as “Christmas Meringue Cookies” is one that I received years ago from our Danish neighbors, who brought us a plate of these every year.
To be honest, I hadn’t ever tasted meringue cookies and was amazed at the airy texture and peppermint taste of them! Our children quickly consumed the cookies that our neighbors brought over, so I knew that we had a new family favorite on our hands!
Meringue cookies are so wonderful and inexpensive to make! With just a few ingredients, you have a really special little Christmas meringue cookie to share!
How to Make Meringue Cookies
Start by putting the egg whites in your mixer and whip until foamy.
Then add the salt and cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form, it’s starting to look like meringue, isn’t it???
Gradually add the sugar, and then whip for about 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. See how simple this is?
This recipe is so much fun to make with children, you can’t mess it up! You can’t wait to taste these, can you?
Then drop spoonfuls of the meringue onto either a foil or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Then sprinkle crushed peppermint candy canes on the cookies.
That’s all there is to making Meringue cookies!
Bake at 225 degrees for 1.5 hours.
Then turn off the heat, but leave the cookies in the oven for another hour, with the oven door ajar. This allows the cookies to set up properly.
Then, once the Peppermint Meringue cookies are firm to the touch, peel them gently off the parchment paper and display on your favorite Christmas cookie plate!
Once they completely cool, peel them off the foil/paper and enjoy!
You’re gonna love these cookies!
Take your neighbors a plate, and I can almost guarantee that they will want this Peppermint Meringue Cookies recipe!
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add salt and cream of tartar, beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Drop by teaspoons onto ungreased foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheets, sprinkle with crushed peppermint.
- Bake at 225 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn off heat, leave cookies in oven with door ajar for another hour.
- Once they are completely cooled, carefully pull them off the paper/foil and enjoy!