DIY Green Superfood Powder is so good for your health, but who can afford it?? No worries, let me show you how to make green superfood at home with very little time and money.
What Are the Benefits of Green Powder?
Green superfood powders offer several health benefits, including enhanced overall wellness, support for immune function, and a reduction in chronic disease risk.
They are rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, which is linked to a healthy immune system, heart disease protection, and good skin health. Additionally, they may help improve energy levels, support healthy digestion, and promote detoxification. Some studies have also suggested that greens powders can help reduce cell oxidation, lower blood pressure, and improve skin health.
However, it’s important to note that greens powders are not a substitute for a well-balanced diet and should be used as a supplement to ensure an adequate intake of essential nutrients.
As with any supplement, it’s recommended to consult a healthcare professional before adding green superfood powder to your diet, especially if you have any existing health conditions or are taking medications.
What are the Best Ingredients for Super Greens?
Common ingredients found in green superfood powders include:
– Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and parsley.
– Vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, and carrots.
– Grasses including wheatgrass, barley grass, and alfalfa grass.
– Sea nutrients like kelp, chlorella, dulse, and Spirulina.
– Other ingredients such as probiotics, chia seeds, ashwagandha, and fruit extracts.
These ingredients are rich in essential nutrients, antioxidants, and other beneficial compounds, contributing to the health benefits of green superfood powders.
Why Make Greens Powder?
There are many reasons to make DIY greens superfood powder at home!
First off, it’s very simple to make. All you need is your greens, a blender and a dehydrator.
Next, it brings amazing nutrition and alkalization to your body.
Beet greens are high in vitamin A, C and calcium. Collard greens are a good source of vitamins A and B, along with copious amounts of calcium, phosphorous and other minerals. Greens are good for us!
Further, there’s a direct connection between alkalization and our overall health.
Personally, I try very hard to increase my intake of high alkaline foods and lessen my exposure to acidic foods and emotions, on a daily basis. Consuming greens powder is just one more way I can alkalize, and it’s so easy to do!
If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you know that I love everything about food preservation! Canning, freezing and dehydrating are some of my favorite topics in life.
But there’s something especially fun about dehydrating. I think because it’s so quick and easy, so I get immediate gratification from it.
If you don’t have a dehydrator, or even if you do, check out my post “11 Ways to Use the Excalibur Dehydrator“. It is by far one of the best dehydrators on the market. I have owned mine for over 12 years and absolutely love and recommend it!
I was at the farmer’s market this weekend with my husband. I hadn’t been there in a while, so I was excited to get there and see what I could find to take home and preserve!
Not much is in season at this point in the year, but I did stop at one of the organic gardener’s tables and she had this gorgeous kale for just $2 a bundle!
So, I snapped up a few and brought them home to make green superfood powder!
How to Make Green Superfood Powder
To make your own green superfood powder, you can follow these general steps:
1. Dehydrate the Greens:
– Wash the greens thoroughly.
– Place them on dehydrator trays and dry at a low temperature (around 95°F / 35°C) until they are completely dry and crumbly to the touch.
2. Make the Powder:
– Once the greens are dehydrated, place them in a grinder or blender and process until a smooth green powder is obtained.
3. Store the Powder:
– Store the green superfood powder in an airtight container for up to a year.
Commonly used greens for the powder include kale, spinach, and other leafy greens. The powder can be added to various foods such as smoothies, soups, stews, and baked goods to boost their nutritional content.
It’s important to note that the homemade green superfood powder should be used as a supplement to a balanced diet, and it’s advisable to consult a healthcare provider before adding it to your routine, especially if you have any existing health conditions or are taking medications.
Be creative and combine different greens together to make your own unique blends! There’s no right or wrong way, and the beauty of this is that you can use whatever is available, at the store or in your garden.
How to Store and Keep it Fresh
To store fresh greens for DIY green superfood powder, follow these tips:
1. Ensure Complete Drying: Before processing, ensure that the greens are completely dry, as any moisture can cause them to mold.
2. Airtight Container: Store the powdered greens in an airtight container in a cool, dark location away from light.
3. Use Dark Amber-Colored Glass Jar: Consider using a dark amber-colored glass jar to prolong the life of the greens.
4. Refrigeration: Once opened, store the green powder in the refrigerator to maintain its quality, as sunlight and moisture can negatively impact it.
By following these storage tips, you can preserve the freshness, flavor, and nutritional content of your DIY green superfood powder for an extended period.
How to Use Green Powder
Here are some ways to use green superfood powder:
1. Smoothies: Blend the powder with fruits, vegetables, and other superfoods for a nutritious and refreshing smoothies.
2. Mocktails: Incorporate the powder into healthy mocktail recipes for a refreshing way to consume your greens.
3. Energy Balls: Add the powder to energy ball recipes for a convenient and nutritious snack.
4. Chia Pudding: Mix the powder into chia pudding for a boost of nutrients and a vibrant green color.
5. Hot Oatmeal: Stir the powder into hot oatmeal for a nutritious breakfast option.
6. Omelets: Sprinkle the powder into omelets or scrambled eggs for an added nutritional punch.
7. Salad Dressings: Incorporate the powder into homemade salad dressings for an extra dose of greens and nutrients.
8. Gravies and Sauces: The powder can be added to gravies and sauces, where it will blend in and provide a nutritional boost.
9. Curries & Stews: Add the powder to curries and stews for an additional nutritional element.
10. Baked Goods: Incorporate the powder into recipes for cakes, muffins, pancakes, and other baked goods to increase their nutritional value.
These are just a few examples of how to use green superfood powder to boost the nutritional content of various foods and beverages.
Enjoy making your own economical DIY green superfood powder in your own kitchen!