If you’re looking for ways to make money, “86 Side Hustle Ideas for the Homestead” is exactly what you need!
Many people desire to make a living from their homestead…and it can be done! Whether you have >1 acre, 5-10 acres or even more! You’ll find that many of these 86 side hustle ideas are “small farm” friendly! Some of them don’t require a yard at all!
It’s about doing your research, considering what your community would support, setting up a budget and doing a lot of planning.
This can be done, but homesteaders need to remember this one point….no ONE homesteading endeavor is going to bring you a full-time income. You will need to choose several things to span the entire year, because farming happens in seasons.
For example, during the spring, you might sell baby chicks and seedlings. Later in the summer, you’ll have vegetables from your garden to sell. Summer also brings most of the labor-type businesses you could pursue, so you could be busy with those. Fall is when people begin to turn their eyes towards preserving food and then the holiday season. Selling grass-fed beef and other meats would be a money-maker during this time. Christmas trees come to mind next, as well as participating in a well-trafficked craft show to sell your crafts and gifts. After the holidays, people hunker down inside, so this may be your slow time.
But there’s never really a slow time on the farm!
During the winter months, I go to classes for personal enrichment, knit like crazy and build beehives for the spring. I’m also working on seedlings for the spring, long before anyone else is thinking about it. Stay ahead of the next season and think through your entire year before you start trying to make money at homesteading.
I would also strongly suggest that you reduce your overall living expenses as much as possible, to reduce your need for income.
Also, do some research and find out what your state’s cottage industry laws are! They vary by state and make sure you read the latest changes. Check your local ordinances and research insurance needs for your side hustle ideas.
Side Hustle Ideas from Your Garden
There are numerous side hustle ideas to make money on small acreage!
1. CSA – CSA stands for “Community Supported Agriculture”, where a farmer grows to produce for a group of people who financially support them. How to start a CSA and other considerations here.
2. Annual and perennial seedlings and starts– Selling seedlings at the end of your driveway in the Springtime can be a wonderful way to earn some money! You’ll have to check your local ordinances (similar to garage sale ordinances). You would need to start your seedlings early in the year to be ready for planting season.
3. U-Pick farm – If you have a decent amount of land, and ample parking, you might be a candidate for a U-Pick farm. People will need access to your field in order to pick.
6. Cut flowers– Beautiful flowers from your perennial and annual gardens are a quick-selling addition to any farm stand! A simple and doable side hustle!
7. Grow landscaping plants– I’ve dabbled in this, but not seriously, but I find it to be very interesting. Mike McGroarty is THE MAN with regard to using cuttings to grow landscaping trees and plants for resale. Check him out.
8. Worms– Worm farming
9. Mushrooms – The key to being a successful mushroom farmer is to find your market. Local chefs love fresh mushrooms! I would chat with these chefs and build a relationship, letting them know that you’ll grow what they want to cook with! Small farm friendly!
10. Sell garlic
11. Christmas trees
13. Pumpkin patch – Offering pumpkins once a year is a great side hustle! Kids and families look forward to choosing pumpkins to decorate with!
14. Micro greens – Micro greens are hugely popular in some parts of the country! Not only that, microgreens can be very profitable when approached the right way! Perfect for making money on a small farm, this can be done in your basement!
Side Hustles with Small Livestock
16. Raise broilers
17. Raise layers
18. Day-old chicks – This is a fabulous article about how to make $1,000 a month with 15 chickens! Perfect for making money on small acreage!
19. Breed 4H animals – I know of a farm that breeds 4H goats for her community, and has built quite a reputation for herself! Many of her goats place very well at the county fair! I also like this idea because she has just one busy time of year, which is January-April. This allows her to do other things outside of kidding and 4H season! Breeding animals for 4H is a great way to make money on small acreage!
20. Raise and sell grass-fed beef – The same farm that I mentioned above raises and sells Holstein calves and beef during the other months of the year. That’s a great business plan!
21. Do a herd-share – There’s a herd-share in my town that offers raw milk and other dairy products, beef, lamb, herbal supplements and essential oils. It’s run by a family and their grown children. The family also educates their clients with classes and workshops, what a wonderful side hustle idea!
22. Raise rabbits
23. Raise turkeys
24. Raise other poultry like guinea fowl, quail, geese, ostrich, partridge, etc.
25. Raise lambs
28. Raise goats
29. Sell goat meat
30. Sell goat milk
31. Make cheese
34. Duck eggs
36. Stud services
37. Eggs – In my opinion, eggs are not a real profit item. However, eggs can be a fantastic “gateway” product! I have two prices for my eggs, $3 for unwashed eggs that are picked up here. I charge $4 for washed eggs that I am willing to deliver within a couple of miles. This allows me to “up-sell” other products like honey and jam! Another great side hustle idea for someone with a small property!
40. Petting zoo
41. Farm tours
42. Homeschool classes – As a former home-schooler, I can honestly say that home-schoolers are always looking for new and educational adventures for their children! Look for homeschool groups in your town and find out what types of classes they would be willing to pay for.
43. Corn maze
Side Hustles from Your Homestead Kitchen
47. Jams and jellies
49. Wedding cakes
Side Hustle with Honeybees
52. Honey and bee products – As a beekeeper, I can tell you that I have no trouble at all selling my honey. However, there is much more money to be made from selling the bees themselves in the form of “nucs”, or nucleus hives. Check out my post here about bees and getting started.
53. Build customized bee hives – Painting and designing customized beehives would be a unique way to attract beekeeper buyers! Get a booth at local and statewide beekeeping symposiums.
Side Hustle with Your Skills
55. Wood carving
56. Build coops, cages or chicken tractors as a rural side hustle! Many times people want to get fowl but can’t build or afford coops. Use your carpentry skills and make some cash!
59. Tree services
60. Lawn mowing
Crafting as a Side Business
Craft shows are a long time side hustle for many crafty families!
More Ways to Make Money
68. Storage – If you live near a lake or ocean, boat storage could be a lucrative side hustle!
69. Farm School
70. Farm sitting – Farmers go out of town at times and providing qualified farm sitting is an awesome side hustle idea!
71. Teach classes online – Another great side hustle idea is to teach and create online classes to sell!
72. Wedding venue
75. Event rentals
78. House cleaning – As our population ages, cleaning houses is and will continue to be a sought-after service and is a great side hustle idea!
81. Tractor work
82. Log splitting
84. Chain saw work
86. Teach music lessons
As you can see, there are a plethora of side hustles to make money with on your small acreage using your unique, personal skill set!
Always do your research and ask a lot of questions before diving head-first into any business venture. Investigate your local ordinances and give your insurance company a call to see if you need to make any changes.
Go forth and find the side hustle ideas that fit your life and property!